Re: Linux on the desktop - it's come a long way, but is it there yet?

 Jarod Wilson wrote:

> Ubuntu is unusual in other ways too.
>
> http://cycle-gap.blogspot.com/2008/07/linux-kernel-development-stats-from.html
>
> Note the part towards the end where Greg KH mentions Canonical's
> contributions to the kernel.

I'd have to see whether Canonical is contributing to other open-source
projects before reaching the conclusion that Greg reaches. It's possible
that they are more active in non-kernel projects. Kernel development
isn't the only way to participate in Linux. It's not really surprising
that a distribution where the major focus is UI polish and smoothness
would not be heavily focused on kernel work.

It's also possible that they send their contributions upstream to Debian
rather than directly to the kernel developers, thus their work is
attributed to Debian developers rather than to Canonical.

All that said, it's possible that Canonical really isn't being a good
community player. But I think that the jury is still out.

believed to be clean.