Re: Linux on the desktop - it's come a long way, but is it there yet?

 Derek Martin wrote:
> Remember that Microsoft is a near monopoly, and that hardware vendors
> code drivers that work to Microsoft's specifications before they
> release a product.  With Linux, some vendors do this, but many simply
> still don't care about the Linux platform, leaving the job to be done
> by the thousands of developers who volunteer their free time to do so.

That was a good explanation for the situation 10 years ago. Now Linux
development is heavily sponsored by large corporations like IBM, Novel,
and RedHat. So the real question is why isn't new hardware supported
more quickly by these commercial OS vendors?

The answer is probably that there is just too much hardware to cover
even by these large companies with deep pockets. With Windows, Microsoft
writes drivers themselves only for a minority of the hardware. The
vendors do the rest.

So we're back to the usual chicken-and-egg problem where vendors don't
feel compelled to support a platform that doesn't have a big market
share, and consumers aren't drawn to a platform that doesn't support the
hardware they want to use. Of course this is slowly changing in Linux's
favor, but is still a far way from the "tipping point."

Peter Petrakis wrote:
> You're implying that the vendors have nothing to lose by releasing
> their hardware specs, which is simply untrue. There's the stuff they
> can measure like support costs and the stuff they can't measure like
> is some company out there who's good at reverse engineering going to
> rip off their product.

I'm generally of the mind that companies should be in the hardware
business or the software business, but not both (at least not where a
single product is concerned). So if they make the hardware, then the
software should be free or the hardware interface openly documented.

This idea tends to fall apart when it comes to graphics cards because
the hardware vendors have become highly dependent on the software
drivers to outperform their competitors, and thus they understandably
don't want to open source them.

I think documenting the hardware interfaces is a red herring, and
somewhat pointless to try and keep hidden. A real competitor can afford
to spend a few weeks with a PCI bus analyzer to reverse engineer exactly
what the interface is doing. I think the real reason is that if the
interface was openly documented, the hardware would likely perform
poorly without all the proprietary tricks they do in the driver, and
they don't want to divulge those to give up their competitive edge.

Have things improved with ATI since AMD's acquisition?

To address Rich's original question:
> Linux on the desktop - it's come a long way, but is it there yet?

If you do a fair comparison, such as bundling the software and hardware
together so there aren't compatibility issues (the vast majority of
Windows users these days get bundled hardware), and you look at just the
desktop itself, then I think Linux is well past the point of being
useful for most people. The sticking point is most likely to be
applications, still.

And by the way, driver support in new Windows releases for relatively
new hardware isn't all that great either. The drivers will probably
exist, but they may be unusably buggy. I experienced this personally
when W2K came out and I used it on a new system build. It was quite a
while before Matrox had a usable W2K driver as I recall. I don't recall
having problems with XP, but I've read about similar problems with Vista
(which I haven't used on a system build and probably wont).

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA