Re: ATA over Ethernet (aoe) Experience?

 Kent Borg wrote:
> Anyone here have experience with ATA over Ethernet ("aoe")?
>
> Third, export the two physical partions via ATA over ethernet.  (Be an
> aoe target.)

I haven't used AoE. What I know about it is that it was invented by and
promoted by Coraid. Their primary objective is to sell proprietary
hardware that attaches to hard drives on one end and exports the storage
using the AoE protocol[1] over an Ethernet interface.

To widen adoption of their protocol, they opened it up, released open
source Linux drivers, and have apparently since published an RFC[1] for
the protocol.

I haven't been following it closely, but I wasn't aware of Coraid or a
third party releasing "server-side" drivers for AoE. It wouldn't be in
Coraid's best interest to do so, so if such a thing exists, I assume it
was developed by the community. Have you actually seen such drivers?
It'd be neat if they did exist, as you could create your own AoE box.

My though is that if this protocol gets any significant market share,
someone will make a $30 to $50 adapter PC board that any SATA drive can
be docked to and provides an AoE jack.

1. http://www.coraid.com/s.nl?sc=12&category=1120