Re: KDE4 vs. GNOME (please no religion :-)

 On Saturday 05 July 2008, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> At one time, KDE was the better desktop system for Linux for technical
> reasons of stability and applications. Today, it appears that GNOME has
> surpassed KDE.  I use GNOME (RHEL4) at work and on my laptop (Ubuntu
> 8.04) and KDE4/SuSE 11.0. I always install both KDE and GNOME on my
> desktop so I can switch. I've always preferred KDE for my desktop, but
> I am getting used to GNOME, and it does appear that KDE is starting to
> be more screwed up.  What I would like to see is a non-religious,
> objective discussion of various features of GNOME and KDE.

Obviously, this is just your opinion vs mine, but I don't see how KDE is
starting to be more "Screwed up"? Works great for me. Do you mean the desktop
functionality and embedded apps, like systemsettings (kcontrol in old
parlance) plasma, etc? If you mean other apps, which ones? Any missing
functionality in this transition period is filled by running KDE3 and 4 apps
together. Works nicely. 4.1 is great, and getting better every day. KDE 3.5.0
even, with k3b, amarok and Konsole ranks right up there with other
indispensable things such as iced tea and sushi.

Certainly, nobody is pushing you to use the newer KDE 4.x, right? You can
stick with the same ole 3.x and your apps for a year or more and still be
productive as you ever were...

GNOME is fine, I guess, just not my cuppa. The top bar is kind of cool.
The "Places" and such seems well thought-out. Have always thought it's
dog-butt ugly, but most of my objections are obviously biased, being a KDE
dev.

On a side note: Until now, with QT4 on Windows, I was a huge fan of the GTK
stuff (Gimp, gramps, etc.) finding it's way onto Windows, when I was stuck
with an in-law computer I could tinker with. My sig other loves Gimp on
Windows. These things are just in support of GTK, though, not GNOME-proper.

believed to be clean.