Re: Mozy

 On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Mozy is a free (up to 2GB) online backup system, owned by EMC. They
> have both Windows and Mac clients. I was wondering if anyone on this
> list has used or investigated Mozy, and if so, have you been able to
> backup from Linux.

I installed this on a friends Windows laptop. It does not appear to
support any sort of Unix client, and I would be very surprised if it ran
under Wine. It does quite a bit of analysis on your PC data before
uploading it, presumably so that deduplication occurs before uploading.

It runs in the background spontaneously and was quite easy to set up.

We were paying clients, and that may have been a problem, since we signed
up for a commercial account when the proper account was non-profit. The
price was pretty similar, so I don't know what the reason for the
distinction was. In any case, they insisted and switched us to the
different type of account after a month of good service. The new
account never functioned as a backup, but it did complain every few
minutes that we were behind on our backups. I spent quite a bit of time
trying to make it work, and then trying to remove it but failed at both,
Eventually I complained to the right person and they turned it off
remotely, cancelled the service and refunded her money.

Daniel Feenberg

> http://mozy.com/

believed to be clean.