Re: USB 2.0 boot on 15" PowerPC Aluminum Powerbook (Model 5,6)

 Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting it done, without firewire at all.
:p

I neglected to mention in my first post that I had a USB => 2.5" IDE cable.
I also didn't have another Mac. Thirdly, I definitely didn't mention that
the Leopard installer does not run from within Tiger (if it did, I could
have installed it directly onto the drive and swapped it in.) And even if
you do copy the image from the DVD to a USB stick, mount it, and run the
installer, it will tell you have to reboot, and it _will_ reboot. (right
back into the old OS you came from, if your model doesn't USB boot :p)

In case anyone was interested, (I may post it to my blog if anyone finds it
useful) this is how I did it:

1. Used the current install on the laptop (Tiger, 10.4.11 PPC) to format the
new drive (with the USB => 2.5" IDE cable)
2. Created two partitions on the disk I planned to install into the laptop.
3. First partition was empty (HFS+ journaled, case-insensitive), second
partition at end of disk was 7.5 gigs (install DVD was 7.2 or so)
4. Used "Disk Utility" to restore the "Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD" image
I'd created (directly from the install disc) to the second partition, at the
end of the disk (still within Tiger)
5. Used "bless" from the Tiger install to ensure the machine would boot up
the install partition, located towards the end of the drive. (This step may
be unnecessary, as I made a backup through "Disk Utility" which probably
should have preserved boot info, also I assume that the "Leopard Install
DVD" is probably "bless"ed (in the command-line sense) by a release engineer
at Apple (but probably with a newer version.))
6. Shutdown the laptop whose HD I wanted to upgrade, replace it with the new
one (with the install image at the end.)
7. Powered on the laptop, which started the Leopard install. (Although the
disk seeks like crazy, it gets the job done. It didn't take more than an
hour.)
8. Updated to 10.5.3, and then deleted the install partition at the end of
the (now internal) hard disk, did you know HFS+ has an online resize as
well? (no need to reboot, woot!)