Re: Erasing hard drives - Erase-O-Matic?

 Boland, John wrote:
> the first thing I noticed is that the hard drive in the picture has the
> cover removed.
> removing the cover of a drive invalidates the warranty, there are a
> number of stickers on most drives that warn you of that.
> his claims are that before you dispose of the media, you can make sure
> that all data has been cleared.
> besides you gotta love that "rare-earth-magnet technology"!

Here is what the site has to say about the procedure for erasing hard
disk drives:

"HD4: Remove top and bottom hard drive covers, make a minimum of four
passes - end "A" top "up"; end "A" bottom "up"; end "B" top "up"; end
"B" bottom "up" -- plus additional passes as required."

So yes, this device requires that you open the hard drive. Fine if your
only concern is disposing of old drives securely, but useless if you
want to return the drive for warranty repair.

If DBAN doesn't recognize the drive, it's probably dead in some
electronic way. (That's why you're sending it back, after all!) Sadly,
that means that you either have to trust the manufacturer's repair
center with your data or forgo the warranty replacement.

believed to be clean.