Re: Rant: graphical terminal based vim vs IDE

 On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 2:02 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't need eclipse or some other IDE
> creating a second "desktop metaphor" within my desktop metaphor.
8><
> There is no real reason why we need an application like an IDE that
> provides basically the same functionality of the desktop only less
> flexibly and in a way thats different than the desktop of our choosing.

IDEs were designed to provide syntactic assistance with code editing,
but more importantly to provide semantic and work-flow features that
save huge amounts of time when developing software.  Large software
projects, especially those involving teams of developers, benefit
enormously from using an IDE.  I'm not sure how anyone doing software
engineering could get work done efficiently without things like code
complete and generation, syntax high-lighting and auto-formatting,
library resolution and token checking, refactoring tools, and build
and unit-testing management.  Of course there are also lots of plugins
available for integrating with version control systems, bug and issue
tracking systems, continuous integration tools, etc.  vi(m) is great,
and it even does some of the above, but IMHO it's not the right tool
for serious development.  If you are so accustomed to vi(m)- or
emacs-style editing, there are plugins for Eclipse (and I imagine
other IDEs) that will allow you to continue editing in your preferred
fashion.

believed to be clean.