Re: Boy Scout Open Source

 It's just that I've seen too many wars over the years, where someone
like Microsoft has tried to confuse the issue by redefining the word
"open".  Most recently, consider the name "Office Open XML".  I can't
imagine the choice of the words "Open" and "Office"  as the first two
words was a mere accident.  It's much more plausible that it's an
intentional ploy by Microsoft targeted at people who don't understand
the standards battle they're waging (the majority of the general public
plus a fair number of techies who aren't watching closely), with the
intent of misleading them into thinking Open Office is somehow related
to Microsoft's OOXML.

However in the case of the BSA (the Boy Scouts of America, not the
Business Software Alliance -- and no, I'm not paranoid enough to think
that choice of initials was intentional), I hope you saw the followup I
sent a mere 8 minutes after the first email, in which I wrote:

    My mistake.  I just found a different webpage of theirs at
    http://opensource.scouting.org/classroom/opensource/index.php/What_is_Open_Source
    where they define what they mean by "Open Use".  I'd assumed "Open
    Use" meant no restrictions on what you can do with the binaries, but
    at this other webpage they spell out that it includes the
    requirement that source code be made available to anyone who
    receives a binary.

                Mark