Re: Boy Scout Open Source

 On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 02:50:58 -0400
MBR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In spite of this having gotten way off topic because of the Boy Scouts'
> Freedom of Association case, I think there's a different issue here that
> _is_ highly relevant to BLU (and also FSF for that matter).  I just
> looked closely at their answer to the question "What is Open Source
> Software?"

I would agree. however, a possible future meeting topic this brings to
mind is a discussion about what OSS is, what it means to the end users,
both personal desktop users but also to organizations that run servers.
And, on top of this is how does a business based on OSS make money. I
tend to be amused to see on the OpenOffice.org users list that a number
of people BUY OO.o for download, then complain the download stops and
they can't recover. Part of my intent is to try to broaden our topics
to be more inclusive, but also I think there are also some
misconceptions as to what OSS is.
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846