Re: Home ethernet wiring [Was: Re: Computer Room\Data Center layouts]

 Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Unless you really need the connection you may be much better off with a
> good wireless. Remember that your connection to the Internet is the
> bottleneck, and for most residential services, 802.11G will exceed the
> bandwidth of the connection.

I'm looking forward a few years to where I'll have extended my file server to
be a music/DVR server, and want to shove lots of data around on my internal
net.  Plus I really like the NFS-home / samba-"My Documents" method of sending
things up to my RAID file server without thinking about it.  The extra latency
and unpredictability of interference that's been characteristic of wireless
can suck for that use case (although admittedly I've not had any direct
experience with the N variant of 802.11).

Right now all my computers are in the same room, but eventually the kids will
want their own, and we may need the spare bedroom for something other than my
collection.

The last couple arguments against wireless are that I like doing home
improvements and I get warm fuzzies when I physically plug something in ;-)

Matt

believed to be clean.