Re: persistent xterm sessions

 Derek Martin wrote:
> On my system, screen doesn't behave that way...

I tried screen from within a classic xterm, enabled scrollback, and
applied the resource setting:

% xterm -sb -xrm XTerm.vt100.titeInhibit=true

and xterm's scrollback buffer did continue working after running screen,
but it only showed the current screen of terminal output. In other words:

% cat bigfile
% screen
% ls -al bigdir

shows 24 lines of the ls output proceeded by the tail of bigfile. Maybe
I'm applying the resource setting incorrectly.

> ...screen manages its own scrollback buffer...

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but to use the keybindings instead of the GUI
kind of defeats the purpose of using a GUI terminal emulator, which also
provides visual feedback on your location within the scrollback buffer.

> Gnome's terminal program does not, as far as I know, use X resources
> at all.  There's probably a way to do it from gnome-term's
> configuration menus...

Not that I can see.

> ...I don't use gnome-terminal -- strongly prefering the original
> xterm...

xterm brings me back to 1995 a little too much. :-)

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA