Re: persistent xterm sessions

 On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 23:09 -0400, Tom Metro wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > I have a thought... Serial console connections, managed by a console
> > manager, which lets you reconnect to the serial console session, plays
> > back log of prior stuff, etc...
>
> Interesting, but I'm not sure I see how that accomplishes the stated
> goals.

I'm honestly not even sure what the original stated goals were, I wasn't
paying attention... :)

> Lets ignore the hardware issues for the moment, and presume that
> conman can manage an ssh connection that loops back to the local
> machine, so we don't need to worry about having physical serial ports
> for each shell session.

I think it may actually be able to do that. It does support a lot more
than just direct serial consoles.

> > I have serial console output set up on a number of boxes in my cube.
> > These are hooked up to server machine...[which] runs the conman daemon...
> > I run the conman client on my laptop, instructed to point at the server.
> > A simple 'conman foo' in an xterm gives you serial console on machine 'foo'.
>
> OK, so the client-server model used by conman lets you attach and detach
> to an already running shell. I see it supports logging, but what about
> in-memory scrollback buffer. That's really more of a UI function than a
> serial console function.

It does scrollback too.

> It sounds like screen is a better fit for the described problem. So far
> I'm not seeing anything that conman does to address the gaps in the
> screen approach. A reboot of the local machine still wipes away all
> state with either approach, if the shells are running on the local machine.

In my case, a reboot of my laptop has zero impact on what is going on in
a conman-attached session. A reboot of the machine running the conman
daemon does though. I suspect my use case doesn't match yours
though... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
[hidden email]