Re: persistent xterm sessions

 Gregory Boyce wrote:
> Migrating a running process from one system to another would require
> being able to take a snapshot of the program's running state in order to
> replicate it on another system.  Seems like you should be able to write
> that state to local disk for recovery after a reboot.
>
> Maybe someone with more hands on experience with this type of clustering
> could confirm what sort of crack I'm smoking though.

Apparently you are crack free, as it turns out someone has implement this:

http://cryopid.berlios.de/

   CryoPID - A Process Freezer for Linux

   CryoPID allows you to capture the state of a running process in Linux
   and save it to a file. This file can then be used to resume the
   process later on, either after a reboot or even on another machine.

This kind of software seems to be called "checkpointing" and overlaps
with both the clustering (process migration) and hibernation
communities. The page above also links to:

http://www.checkpointing.org/

which is a directory of similar software.

One of the listed applications for CryoPID is saving the state of a
screen session. :-) Unfortunately the tool is not quite up to the task
yet, as it doesn't handle "Multiple processes with hierarchy" or "PTYs
other than the current one."

But it sounds promising. Even if it worked perfectly, it'd still need
some integration work. Something that catches a GNOME shutdown signal
and iterates over all the sessions, saving them to disk.

Looks like the project has been stagnant since 2005, unfortunately, but
there's still a trickle of activity on the mailing list and a recent
message implies there might be a working CryoPID package for Ubuntu Gutsy.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA