Re: persistent xterm sessions

 Jarod Wilson wrote:
> I have a thought... Serial console connections, managed by a console
> manager, which lets you reconnect to the serial console session, plays
> back log of prior stuff, etc...

Interesting, but I'm not sure I see how that accomplishes the stated
goals. Lets ignore the hardware issues for the moment, and presume that
conman can manage an ssh connection that loops back to the local
machine, so we don't need to worry about having physical serial ports
for each shell session.

> I have serial console output set up on a number of boxes in my cube.
> These are hooked up to server machine...[which] runs the conman daemon...
> I run the conman client on my laptop, instructed to point at the server.
> A simple 'conman foo' in an xterm gives you serial console on machine 'foo'.

OK, so the client-server model used by conman lets you attach and detach
to an already running shell. I see it supports logging, but what about
in-memory scrollback buffer. That's really more of a UI function than a
serial console function.

It sounds like screen is a better fit for the described problem. So far
I'm not seeing anything that conman does to address the gaps in the
screen approach. A reboot of the local machine still wipes away all
state with either approach, if the shells are running on the local machine.

But I appreciate the suggestion.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro