From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
Of David Rosenstrauch
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 2:15 PM
To: L-blu
Subject: Re: persistent xterm sessions

Tom Metro wrote:
> Anyone know of a tool like 'screen' or an xterm equivalent that has
> the ability to persistently save sessions? If you need to restart X or

> reboot, most apps these days can preserve their sessions (like
> Firefox, or an editor saving buffers), but you're stuck starting over
> from scratch with your xterm sessions.
>
> When I start up X, I'd like to be able to resume work in a bunch of
> xterm sessions, each preserving a title, current working directory,
> command history, and scrollback buffer. Ideally it'd be nice to be
> able to "reattach" to running programs in those xterms, much as you
> can reattach to a screen (providing you haven't rebooted the machine).

KDE's Konsole will take you most of the way there.  Like many command
line consoles, Konsole has tabs, which allows you to open multiple
command prompts in separate tabs within the same app.

But Konsole also has the nice feature of being able to save the set of
currently open tabs to a "session profile" file, and then reload that
profile later (by typing "konsole --profile <profile-name>").  The
profile appears to save numerous settings of each open console,
including title, color schema, tab icon, working directory, choice of
shell command, etc., as well as overall app settings such as window
size.  (As far as "reattaching" to running programs, though, I don't
think it supports that.  In fact, AFAIK, gnu screen is the only thing
that does.)

I think it might also be possible to then go into the session profile
file (which gets saved to ~/.kde/share/apps/konsole/profiles) and edit
it to do things like execute custom scripts for each console, set a
custom $HISTFILE, etc., but I'm not too sure of the details on how to do
this.  A blog page I found (see:
http://brunovernay.wordpress.com/2007/09/14/konsole-session-save-and-res
tore/
- and also the comments to that post) have some details on how to go
about it, but I wasn't able to find a definitive guide to the syntax and
usage of the Konsole profile file.  Try googling on "konsole session
profile".

I actually use this feature quite extensively, but not in as advanced a
fashion as you intend.  For work, I often need to run the same set of
apps from the console, so I've saved a session that has the required
number of tabs, with an appropriate title for each app - plus an extra
"general" tab for my general console needs.  I open that session when I
log in in the morning, and when/if needed I start up the required apps
in the appropriate tab.

HTH.  I'd be interested to hear back whether this winds up fitting the
bill for you or not.

DR

believed to be clean.