Re: Choice of ISP

 Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]> noted:
> The shared bandwidth has been a fud for years. In the case of
> cable, you share essentially an ethernet to the head end where you
> connect to fibre. I used to have the ratio, but I don't know what
> Comcast's ratios are. With FIOS or DSL you have a bandwidth to the CO,
> but at that point you share with everyone else.  ...

The DOCSIS 1.0 specification is 520 homes passed with a 6MHz channel set aside
for data (38 megabits down, about 6 megabits up, IIRC).  Some providers
improve on this but I'm pretty sure most of Comcast's network around here
conforms to that standard.

What it means is that if 30% of your neighbors subscribe to Comcast and 10% of
those are running continuous download at a given time, then you'd have about
15 people sharing 38 megabits so you'd get a bit over 2 megabits.

Compare that with a typical DSL system in which a whole central office shares
a DS3 (45 megabit) pipe among up to 5000 or so homes-passed.

If you get a high-end high-priced DSL line you might be able to get a better
uplink, but that's the only technical advantage of DSL over cable.  (There are
obviously some non-technical business issues to deal with when comparing
providers... ;-)

The phone company realized this, saw the handwriting on the wall for aging
copper wiring, and opted to pull fiber to everyone's house.  Eventually.

-rich

believed to be clean.