Re: Choice of ISP

 On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:24:15 -0400
David Kramer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you be more specific?  What kinds of problems?
> Install?
> Lost of service?
> Speed?
> Filtering (won't be a problem with business class)

Most have been reported on this list. Didn't you once have Comcast (or
ATTBI or Mediaone).  The types of problems were mostly repeated outages
and bandwidth.

Comcast has inherited cable plants from a number of different
providers.  Apparently the TV cable plants built by Continental
CableVision in this area were relatively good, but some of the areas
that were previously built by other cable companies were not so good as
far as the Internet is concerned. The Newton-Needham area were among
the first to get cable Internet here, and tended to be a bit of a
showcase. I know that Waltham was not an original Continental
Cablevision community, but I don't remember what company they had. In
my area a few years ago, they upgraded all the coax to RG6, but I don't
know what they are using on the streets. It is possible that Comcast
may have upgraded your area since you last had cable Internet.

A lot of the negativity around Comcast has been on port blocking and
their clueless customer service. As I mentioned, my service has been
excellent, and I was never able to get DSL. As long as my service
remains rock solid, I don't plan to change, and I block ports 80 and 25
at my firewall. Note that I did have an outage last week or so for 3
hours that they blamed on a cut fibre cable that affected the entire
city. And, since Comcast took over, in the few cases I called for a
technician, they were very prompt. The technician was for a cable TV
box problem.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846