Re: Getting rid of land line?

 On Wed, 21 May 2008 08:33:38 -0400
"Bill Ricker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Most jurisdictions don't have the peculiar Boston history of
> agglomeration. Others are solving similar problems by draconian
> action. In Cumberland Co, Maine, street names are required to change
> to not only be be unique in the county but to *sound* unique. So the
> house I grew up in exists still, but the address is gone. And doesn't
> even exist elsewhere.

I lived in Atlanta as well as in New Orleans. As I mentioned, Atlanta
is worse than Boston as far as roads go while it is a much newer city.
I mentioned the 18 Peachtrees, but there are many roads with the word
"ferry" in them. New Orleans has a unique name rule. In New Orleans you
can't have a Bourbon Street and a Bourbon Ave, and the official
pronunciations are interesting.  I tried to take a cab to Versailles
Boulevard once, and the cab driver didn't know where that was until I
said "versales". The cab companies used the same guide as the cops. Of
course there are streets like Tchoupitoulas Street.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846