Re: Getting rid of land line?

 > But there are still problems. There was a recent issue where police in
> Boston were dispatched to the wrong place because there are a number of
> streets in Boston with the same name.

Boston has a particularly problem because many small towns were merged
into one city which started as Boston Proper, and they didn't change
names of streets, since it was "obvious" by neighborhood in the
1870's..

However, Boston 911 usually gets it right when calls come in in E911
not cell, not third party caller relaying, etc -- in the particularly
notorious case, either the operator or dispatcher made a rookie
mistake. Boston sometimes has dispatched to all similar addresses when
it was ambiguous -- I've heard it on the scanner -- and is instituting
a policy to do so more often.

Most jurisdictions don't have the peculiar Boston history of
agglomeration. Others are solving similar problems by draconian
action. In Cumberland Co, Maine, street names are required to change
to not only be be unique in the county but to *sound* unique. So the
house I grew up in exists still, but the address is gone. And doesn't
even exist elsewhere.

--
Bill
[hidden email] [hidden email]