Re: Getting rid of land line?

 On Tue, 20 May 2008 08:01:58 -0400
"Bill Ricker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 911 works with any phone, if you can croak out the address, but
> Enhanced 911 where the address (and prior history) of the address pops
> up on the dispatcher's screen as they answer is tied to wireline.

But there are still problems. There was a recent issue where police in
Boston were dispatched to the wrong place because there are a number of
streets in Boston with the same name.  One example is Washington
Street. There is one that starts at Court Square and goes west through
Dedham, Norwood and Walpole. And another that goes through Dorchester
and Mattapan. A third is just a short stretch that goes through
Brookline Village and stops at Huntington Ave. I think there is one in
East Boston too. (Although it is not as bad as Atlanta that has no less
than 18 Peachtrees).

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846