Re: OLPC goes to the dark side

 On Mon, 19 May 2008 21:59:27 -0400
"Ben Holland" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was reading a while back about how the education minister of I believe
> Seria wrote them off because they didn't have windows then complained about
> the bugs with the linux distro at which point the project lead said how hard
> it was for him to boot up windows most of the time let alone use it. It's
> all mind games right now, what i'd do it put windows on it and charge 200
> more dollars and see which one people choose. ~Ben

I can't fault them yet. There are a lot of good reasons for them to
have a Windows version, but there are still many excellent reasons for
OpenSource. Some of the members of the FOSS press are not castigating
Negroponte. I'll wait to make up my mind.

I do see some major issues with the OLPC and Sugar. First, their
applications do not have print capability. Actually, they do have CUPS
available, and you can add your printer. Additionally, there is no way
to easily save a document or file. (You can save it to a SD card if
that card is plugged in to the internal slot).  The reason they have
not added printing capability is that it was low priority on their
list.

In my case, my OLPC connected to the Internet easily in San Diego and
on my cruise. While the built-in browser lacked some capability, both
Opera and Firefox are available.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846