Re: Getting rid of land line?

 <SNIP>

>     You'd want to verify this, but I've heard that any phone line,
> active or not, will dial 911 emergency calls even without paid service.
>
> Frank
After I switched to RCN, Verizon soon deactivated their line.  (Also,
they show DSL as unavailable even though I am within the distance from
the CO.  Not to mention the old NET&amp;T line is ungrounded.)

Maine requires soft dial tone for 1 year after involuntary
disconnection.  Possibly also applies to voluntary disconnection, but
this is unclear as voluntary disconnections are temporary.

In 1999, Bell Atlantic told Massachusetts that they did not provide
"Soft Dial Tone" and had no intention to provide it.

In 2002, MA required CLEC's discontinuing service to provide "Soft Dial
Tone" for 10 days (with an announcement, if technically feasible).

--Randy

believed to be clean.