Re: Getting rid of land line?

    John> My wife (Shelley) and I have been thinking of getting rid of
    John> our land line, and are looking for pro/con arguments and
    John> ideas. It's the usual "We have cell phones; why keep
    John> spending the money?" thing.

I gave up the land line the last time Verizon wanted to put me under
house arrest for a week while they didn't bother fixing it.  I haven't
missed it.

    John> One obvious answer is "911".

I have called 911 twice, both times in Cambridge.  It seemed to work.
Whether it would work equally well if I called it from a highway
somewhere in the middle of nowhere and I wasn't quite sure what town I
was in, I don't know, but I wouldn't have a landline in that
situation.

    John> There's also the usual hassle of getting friends switched
    John> over to the cell numbers (which in my experience they don't
    John> do until the old number goes away).

As a single person, I just moved the landline number to the cell
phone.  I realize that married people can only do that with one cell
phone.

    John> And doing this with all the companies that feel they have
    John> the right to ignore the Do-Not-Call list because we once did
    John> business with them is another hassle.  It is nice to know
    John> that they'll just leave a message at home rather than
    John> interrupting us when we're out doing something because we've
    John> never given them our cell numbers.

I originally got the same amount of junk phone calls I'd had on the
landline; after more than two years, it's down to almost zero.

    John> So any ideas?  Should we just shrug and scrap the land line?

I recommend it.  But of course the decision is different if you live
somewhere where Verizon keeps the land line working better than it
does in my neighborhood.

--
Laura   (mailto:[hidden email] http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Strong hope is a much greater stimulant of life than any realized joy
could be.

Nietzsche

believed to be clean.