Re: Getting rid of land line?

One data point, almost surely irrelevant as it is from
a recalcitrant semi-fanatic.

I have two landlines.  One has an answering machine
but no instrument; this is the number on my business
card.  The other has no answering machine but does
have an instrument; this is the one that goes in the
phone book.  In this way, persons calling for a
business reason are assured of a call-back but, for
example, the Police Patrolman's Benevolent Association
fundraisers and the various corporations who believe
that they have a relation with me will not reach me
unless I am home and feel like answering the phone.
Both numbers are in an exchange in which I do not live
and are on "permanent forward."  The one instrument is
a wall phone in the kitchen, perhaps proving that I am
living in 1942.  I don't have a cell anymore although
I was a very, very early adopter; I gave the cell up
when "they" required the geo-location stuff as I flatly
refuse to be trackable.  Both landlines are set to not
send CallerID; I turn CID on when necessary but it is,
by default, off as I do not care to provide it for
random harvesting.  I never call 800 numbers if there
is a toll alternative and for the same reason (you
cannot turn off CID for a call the counterparty is
paying for).  I rely on http://www.gethuman.com/

--dan

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/warnin
g-using-a-mobile-phone-while-pregnant-can-seriously-damage-your-baby-830352.htm

believed to be clean.