Re: "no server" rule

 Jarod Wilson wrote:
> But otherwise, FiOS kicks DSL's ass all over the place.
> To boot, I've got 20Mbps down, 5Mbps up (and yes, I saturate both
> regularly), 5 static IP and run whatever (legal) services I want w/o
> violating my EULA, etc., etc., for only $99/mo.

Have you actually studied your EULA and observed language that they
pledge not to block ports or prohibit servers? When I looked into FiOS a
while back, their sales people couldn't produce a copy of an EULA that
demonstrated this. A verbal assurance from the sales person isn't good
enough. (If you have an electronic copy of the EULA, it'd be great if
you could post it to the BLU wiki.)

I have a business-class DSL line through a local ISP who in turn uses
Covad, and when I contacted them a few months back looking into getting
proper PTR records set up (as there are still a few mail servers that
use this poor method of spam detection) they said that Covad doesn't
offer this, and furthermore pointed out that the terms of service didn't
support running servers. I knew that not to be the case at the time when
I had this service installed in 2003, so I pointed that out to them and
asked them to verify if that was indeed the case now, and if so I'd take
my account elsewhere. They never wrote back.

The point is, ISPs are pulling the "no server" rule even on
business-class service these days. Speakeasy or a commercial T1 are
rapidly becoming the few remaining choices.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA