Re: Choice of ISP

 On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 05:28:45PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:

> Verizon has an exclussive last mile in almost every major city for wire.

I don't think this is correct.

Circa 2000 when RCN actually had working capital and were in the process
of building out local plants, they secured permits for last mile access
running past about 20 million homes in the Boston to Washington corridor.
They currently have over-built HFC plant servicing about 1.3 million
addresses.  According to their 2007 SEC filing, they still have permits
for access to another 5 million homes, but typically these agreements
expire if they haven't been built out by some deadline, and RCN is not
building much new plant these days.

> Certain area's, under the now defunct Telephone and Communications act,
> were allowed to ditch Verizon and use RCN, or other providers, but they
> still hook up to Verizon somewhere outside of the zone, according to a
> contract.  Cooper Village and Styverant Town in Manhattan is an example
> of that.

Can you explain this in more detail?  I'm slightly familiar with the
PCV/ST setup, since I used to work for RCN, and I'm under the impression
that the RCN equipment in those buildings is on one of their Manhattan
SONET loops.

-ben

--
in order to create anything, one must first start with something that is
not the thing being created.                            <phillip j. eby>

believed to be clean.