Re: Choice of ISP

 On Sat, 17 May 2008 21:32:47 -0400
Jarod Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like Verizon a lot
> more than I do Comcast, and as I mentioned, in my experience, they're
> also better than the west coast ILEC Qwest.

Probably true. My experience with Verizon over the years has been poor.
My friend's phone service went out for a while, then came back with no
ring. He kept getting a runaround from Verizon. After over 2 weeks of
virtually no phone service, he was able to speak to Verizon's
president's secretary, and they fixed the service. At that point he
switched to Comcast.  My phone service used to have a lot of static and
Verizon made all sorts of excuses. One day, I called them from a
handset outside, they tried to blame it on my house wiring, but I had
my entire house disconnected. In any case, at that time I switched to
Comcast Digital Phone which was a bit cheaper, then to Digital Voice
which was considerably cheaper.  But, I've heard a lot of horror
stories about Comcast. As I mentioned, just about everyone I know who
lives in Waltham has had terrible service from Comcast and its
predecessors. I read Dan Bricklin's article in why he switched to
Verizon. Dan and Bob Frankston were among the first 2 guys in Newton to
get Cable Internet.

As I mentioned, I think I have had 1 service outage in  the past 3
years or so. I consistently get good bandwidth.

So, in my personal case, not that I love Comcast, but I've had good
service. I did investigate Speakeasy, but I'm too far from the CO. I'd
probably have to settle for iDSL or FIOS.  I'd go for FIOS if I have
any problems with Comcast.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846