Re: Choice of ISP

    From: Michael Goodman <[hidden email]>
   Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:39:16 -0400

   I echo the prior recommendations of SpeakEasy and avoiding Comcast.

   Depending upon where you are, SpeakEasy does not provision all
   locations, how far you are from a CO (Central Office) the availability
   of services will vary. I really liked SpeakEasy when I lived in a
   location that they provisioned service in. Pricing was not the least
   expensive, though for the most part they were tech savvy, and easy to
   work with.

The only issues I'm finding with Speakeasy are:

1) Their sales folks aren't returning emails.  I've sent them a few
   emails about upgrading to a faster service, and they haven't
   replied.

2) Their offerings are a bit on the slow side, particularly on the
   uplink end.  The highest upload speed they offer on ADSL is
   768Kbits/s, at a big jump in price from 384.  I'm currently
   lumbering along with 1.5/384, but I'd like something faster without
   spending a fortune on it.

   That said, I consistently (at least for sites that can do it) get
   the full advertised bandwidth in both directions.  I also get a
   static IP (two, actually) and they treat me as a responsible adult.

These aren't enough to get me to switch to ComRizon, but things don't
seem to be quite what they used to be.  Maybe the amount of data I'm
kicking around has also increased.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <[hidden email]>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail [hidden email]

--Eric Crampton

believed to be clean.