Re: Laptop CD player, audio CDs, no sound (Fedora 8)

    Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:40:04 -0400
   From: Don Levey <[hidden email]>

   Dan Ritter wrote:
   > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 04:24:09PM -0400, Don Levey wrote:
   >
   >> Are you suggesting this is a driver problem, or that the hardware has
   >> gone flakey?
   >
   > Judging from your last post, I would say that the hardware is
   > flaking.

   <sigh>  I was afraid of that.  Is replacing a laptop optical drive as
   easy as a desktop?  The last laptop died before the CD drive went.

Depends.  On my Inspiron 8200, it's either much easier or trivial.
It's "much easier" if it's the fixed drive -- loosen one screw, slide
out the old one, insert the new one, and replace the screw.  It's
"trivial" if it's in the removable bay -- slide the removal thing on
the back of the laptop (like it's a battery), remove the old one,
slide the new one in until it clicks.  On other laptops, it may be
much harder.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <[hidden email]>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail [hidden email]

--Eric Crampton

believed to be clean.