Re: [Fwd: Who needs an HDTV?]

 Ben Holland wrote:
> Alright, it has to do with resolution and refresh rate. A 720i/p HD set gets
> 1280x720, a 1080i/p gets 1920x1080 resolution, both of which can be attained
> by a computer monitor but honestly to get a flat planel at 1920x1080 native
> resolution is by no means cheep.

I've seen them as low as $300 (24", 1920x1200). A better one is still
under $500. Not cheap but not hideously expensive either.

  Now here comes the kicker, 60fps. A 1080i/p
> gets 1920x1080 at 60fps (well drop 60 but who cares), to get that, esp while
> video gaming, requires a kick ass graphics card... like professional
> quality... the stuff we use at work because I work at a media company and
> never would afford at home, even so we can't get our output at 1080i/p res
> yet... soon but not yet. Now, a 1280x720 is doable... my monitor at home
> gets 1680x1080 and I can sorta game at native screen using a moderate
> graphics card, if I got a brand new 500$ one I prolly could... if I got an
> sli I definitely could. So thats the deal. ~Ben

Depends on the game. For many games a single NVidia 8800GT (under $175
currently) will do. An SLI pair would certainly be nicer ($350, plus a
more expensive motherboard), or you could go for a 9800GX2 if you can
find one. For movies, you don't even need that much video hardware,
because the new graphics chip sets have HD video decoding built in --
believe it or not, the AMD 780G integrated graphics chipset can handle
it with no problem at all (including the necessary HDMI output with HDCP
if you want to play protected movies on some Other Operating System),
and so will any current ATI or NVidia graphics card.

But a good TV will still beat your monitor on contrast and on sheer
size, as I pointed out in an earlier post. But you could also connect
that TV to your computer for gaming on a really large scale. (You'd
actually find it too big physically for most desktop use.)

believed to be clean.