Re: [Fwd: Who needs an HDTV?]

 On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 09:45 -0400, Bill Horne wrote:
> I got this submission to the Telecom Digest, and I'd like to know who's
> used these on a Linux machine, or what other cards you've used.

The digital side of the HVR-950Q is supported in the dvb-v4l mercurial
tip, will be included in kernel 2.6.26. Works quite well. Don't know
anyone with the Pinnacle stick, or if it supposed to work or not. I've
also used these cards w/o a problem:

1) Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1500 (expresscard, digital and analog)
2) Technisat AirStar HD-5000 (pci, digital only)
3) pcHDTV HD-3000 (pci, digital and analog)
4) pcHDTV HD-5500 (pci, digital and analog)
5) KWorld ATSC-110 (pci, digital and analog)
6) KWorld ATSC-110 (pci, digital and analog)
7) Silicon Dust HDHomeRun (networked dual tuner, digital only)
8) Hauppauge WinTV PVR-{1,2,3}50 (pci, analog only)
9) Hauppauge WinTV PVR-500 (pci, dual tuners, analog only)

All of the above work just peachy with MythTV. For more info on
supported devices, see:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_Devices

> I'm also curious about resolution: Bray says computer monitors are "not
> up there with a true HDTV set", and I want to know why.

Most computer monitors smaller than 24", no. My HDTV set is 1920x1080
resolution, progressive scan. You'd typically need at least a 1920x1200
resolution computer monitor to have as much resolution as a full 1080p
HDTV. Most LCD panels 24" or above fit the bill though.

Aside from resolution though, there's also hardware deinterlacing chips,
such as the venerable Faroudja, which you won't find in a monitor, but
will usually find in a solid HDTV. A good thing to have for 1080i
programming (and can also help make analog 480i stuff look less crappy,
though there's only so much you can do to make crap look less like
crap).