Re: [Fwd: Who needs an HDTV?]

 On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 09:45:38AM -0400, Bill Horne wrote:
> I got this submission to the Telecom Digest, and I'd like to know who's
> used these on a Linux machine, or what other cards you've used.
>
> I'm also curious about resolution: Bray says computer monitors are "not
> up there with a true HDTV set", and I want to know why.

I have an HDHomeRun, from Silicon Digital. Two tuners, an IR
receiver, and connected via 100Mb/s ethernet. It works very
nicely with Linux, OS X and (people say) Windows. Picks up
over-the-air channels with an antenna, and unscrambled QAM from
cable.

Bray is frequently pushing an agenda, and usually one I disagree with. A
720P LCD HDTV is identical to a 1280x768 LCD monitor, plus a tuner and
some video conversion. A 1080P LCD HDTV is just like a 1900x1080 LCD
monitor, with a tuner and more video conversion. HDTVs come with
DVI or HDMI inputs, and so do LCD monitors.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone sells a plasma
monitor... but many plasma TVs come with VGA and DVI ports.

-dsr-

believed to be clean.