Re: KVM question

 We still have not made our decision, but we are currently considering 3
KVM solutions. All the KVM solutions require remote LAN access and 16
ports. Also add a rack mounted console (1U).  All require cables at
just under $100 per cable. All system support Linux and Windows remote
users.

I am considering 4 brands:
1. Aten. JABR's company bought an Aten KH1516I for about $800.  Aten
also has some consoles at different resolutions from about $1200 FOR A
15IN 1024X768.

2. Rose Electronics UltraView Remote 2. We have been quoted $2300. Rose
also has a monitor/kbd for about the same price range as Aten.

3. Avocent. The DSR2030 is about $4000, but does have a remote CD
capability.

4. APC. About $3000.

Our needs are to control 9 or 10 Linux servers, all probably running
RHEL 4. One of our servers is a tower, but the others are rack
mountable, and we will be buying a rack. I've got about 40U worth of
servers, and I will need a KVM (1U), a local console(1U), and a
switch(1U). Hopefully one of the servers will migrate over to
Marlborough and become a BLU server so I do have room in the rack.
The Avocent remote CD capability is interesting in that we are in a
Regus office (HQ company) where we don't have a key to the server room.
We normally have to get someone to open it every time we go in, so in
the worst case, when installing an OS, we would have to get someone to
open the door every time we mount a CD. But, is that worth the premium
price. Currently, it appears that we would probably order the Rose
units because that is what we have in our other data centers. I've
already got feedback from Avocent users, but I am looking for feedback
primarily on Aten as that is the  most cost effective solution.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846