Re: bounced spam

 On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 02:29:10PM -0400, Mike Gorse wrote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2008, Nathan Meyers wrote:
>
>> Same boat here - started happening a few weeks ago. I added some
>> .procmailrc filters that capture the vast majority of this voluminous
>> bounce spam:
>
> I thought about trying something like that, but it would catch legitimate
> bounces, too.  Maybe there's no other way around it and the benefits would
> outweigh the cost, though.

Seems like the 'logical' way to solve this problem would be to add something
to every message you send out, check for that string in the bounces you
receive and redirect to /dev/null accordingly.

Problem is that many bounces don't include all headers. But perhaps there's
something that can be done with the headers that are included in most (all?)
bounces.

Like, check for your full name if you always send mail with that in the
'From' line.

You could also try to keep track of outgoing message ids, but again, these
lines are not always included in bounces.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(    "a loveable, cuddly, stuffed penguin sitting down    )-
Virtual hosting -( after having gorged itself on herring." -- Linus about  )-

believed to be clean.