Re: ext3 fsck on reboot

    Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 12:51:42 -0400
   From: Tom Metro <[hidden email]>

   Robert Krawitz wrote:
   > On a 500 GB partition, even if extN only checks once every 30 reboots
   > or so, it's going to take an awfully long time on those unusual
   > occasions.

   I use XFS on my big disks, so I haven't noticed this, but does
   anyone know why this check isn't performed by a daemon running in
   the background? Sure, it'd have to be read-only, but if it observed
   problems, it could record where, and notify the user that they need
   to reboot for repairs. The repairs should then happen pretty quick,
   now that the locations have already been found.

You wouldn't want to write to the filesystem if it's inconsistent (how
do you know what's safe to write to and correct to read from?).  It's
also a lot harder to validate the consistency of something that's
changing behind your back.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <[hidden email]>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail [hidden email]

--Eric Crampton

believed to be clean.