Re: ReiserFS vs XFS or JFS?

 Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]> writes:

> One issue for laptops is that ext3 has default maximum mount count and
> a check interval. So, if you boot that laptop twice a day (work and
> home), you might have a full fsck once a month or more frequent. But,
> you can change both the interval and max count using tune2fs.

Why are you rebooting your laptop that frequently?!?  My laptop
uptime averages in the 14-21 day timeframe.  I have to reboot periodically
to perform some win32-only pcmcia-requiring functions so that's usually
the reason for the reboot.

> IHMO: Most users and servers probably are not going to see much benefit
>>From ReiserFS or JFS in normal operations. In cases where you have
> specific needs, then certainly the choice of file system and parameters
> needs to be done.

My biggest beef with reiserfs is that if your system ever crashes
(power hit, kernel bug, hardware problem, etc) you have a LARGE
liklihood of losing your whole filesystem.  No thank you, I'd like
my data to stay on the disk and remain accessible even if someone
pulls the plug on my system.

-derek

       [hidden email]                        PGP key available

believed to be clean.