Re: ReiserFS vs XFS or JFS?

 I agree that a partition used for database does not need, and probably
should not use a journalling file system if the file system is
dedicated to the database. Databases really need (or better would
like) raw access to the hardware. it really does not matter from a
performance standpoint what filesystem you use for relatively static
partitions, such as /boot. Same goes for the root file system is /home
and /var are in separate file systems.

One issue for laptops is that ext3 has default maximum mount count and
a check interval. So, if you boot that laptop twice a day (work and
home), you might have a full fsck once a month or more frequent. But,
you can change both the interval and max count using tune2fs.

IHMO: Most users and servers probably are not going to see much benefit
from ReiserFS or JFS in normal operations. In cases where you have
specific needs, then certainly the choice of file system and parameters
needs to be done.