Re: Ubuntu hardy and noscript problems

 Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> Scott R. Ehrlich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> My system originally had feisty, then was dist-upgraded to gutsy,
>> now dist-upgraded to hardy.
>> ...and continued with sudo apt-get dist-upgrade...
>
> Generally, you should use update-manager or do-release-upgrade if you
> don't have X to avoid common pitfalls...

That's a good point.

I learned this lesson the hard way when recently upgrading a system from
Feisty to Gutsy. I prefer the command line for software installation so
all error messages are easily visible and can be logged. I had done
several prior Ubuntu upgrades using 'aptitude dist-upgrade', so I
ignored the recommendations to use the update-manager GUI.

For the most part aptitude worked fine, but it did leave a few lingering
bugs. One was that it failed to remove EVMS, resulting in some drives
not mounting at bootup. (EVMS - Enterprise Volume Manager - was
introduced a few releases ago (installed automatically) in Ubuntu, but
is no longer maintained, so they dropped it.)

It was reading the EVMS bug reports that I learned that the
update-manager would have taken care of this detail, and that
do-release-upgrade would do the equivalent from the command line.

Generally, I've found Ununtu upgrades to require more cleanup work than
Debian. Both require some time to fix up config files with local
changes, but usually everything still works with Debian.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA