Re: linux cups slow printing help

    Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:56:35 -0400
   From: Bob - BLU <[hidden email]>

   I have a customer that I am transitioning from SCO Unix to RHEL.
   The server is used for an application that generates simple text
   reports.  They have a variety of HP printers.  I need to be able to
   print this simple text output and set: landscape, lines-per-inch,
   character-per-inch, margins, printer tray.  Very doable with
   command line options to 'lp'.  The problem is that cusp takes by
   124KB text file and turns into a 1.4MB binary (ghostscript?) file
   in the print queue.  Under SCO, and cups with the 'text-only'
   driver, printing takes 1:45 (~10 secs per page).  Under cups with
   any other driver (hpijs, pcl5e) printing takes 6:45 (~40 secs per
   page).  I can't use the text-only drivers because I need landscape,
   printer tray selection, etc.

   This horrid print speed isn't acceptable to the customer.  Any
   ideas on how to work around this?

   I only have two so far:

   1) Tell the customer to replace all printers with newer faster ones.
   2) Write my own PCL to wrap around the text files and print raw.

What's the hardware the host is running on?  Which driver are you
using, and what settings (quality, resolution, and so forth)?

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <[hidden email]>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail [hidden email]

--Eric Crampton

believed to be clean.