Re: Power savings and trusting Linux firewall

 On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 07:45:15PM -0700, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
>> Yep. I've got two of those in production as firewalls. They are at least
>> twice as expensive as the pcengines units. Also, anything but the new-ish
>> soekris 55xx series is an order of magnitude slower than the alix boards.
>
> The Soekris boxes have much better BIOSes (better supported by / supporting
> at least the FreeBSD boot loader).

Well, that's until we've got coreboot running on the alix.2 and alix.3
series, which should not take too long. It already works on alix.1c.

> They also have other neat things like a
> PCI slot,

Alix.1c has a full length pci slot + a minipci slot. The various other alix
boards have at least one minipci slot.

> a better RS-232 port,

Uhm - better how? 9 pins exposed to an external serial connector, 115200bps -
does it get better than that?

> GPIO ports etc etc.

All alix boards have a (large) GPIO header.

> The advantages of the PC Engines boards are 1) cost and 2) awesomely small
> case.

I'd argue that the PC Engines boards have all the advantages you listed above
as well, short of the BIOS perhaps for now.

> Both the Soekris and the PC Engines boards are super fun though.  I usually
> use them as small routers or firewalls with FreeBSD ("self-built" with
> NanoBSD or via pfSense or m0n0wall).   The new generation (Alix and 5501)
> don't seem to have any trouble keeping a 100Mbit link busy.

I see the same; I can basically forward/firewall traffic pretty much at wire
speed on the alix2c3. And that's with Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk/)
which is a Debian Etch-based distro for boards like the alix and soekris
ones.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(   "Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to    )-
Virtual hosting -(         reinvent it, poorly." -- Henry Spencer          )-

believed to be clean.