Re: Topics for upcoming BLU meetings?

 John Abreau wrote:
> I'm looking for speakers for upcoming BLU meetings, and I'd like to
> know what sort of topics the community would like us to cover this
> year.

How about seeding the discussion by posting the topics that are already
on the schedule?

> ...a speaker to talk about the OLPC mesh networking.
> What else would everyone like to see?

There was talk of an OLPC/EEE PC show-and-tell.

I'm not sure who you would get to do these talks, but here are some
topics that seem to be popular on the list:

Low power computing. (Most of the Linux publications have had articles
on this in the past year.)

Virtualization. We've had many talks on this before, but I don't think
we've had QEMU, Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM), or VirtualBox covered.

There is also the sub-topic of virtual appliances. There are some
commercial vendors (rPath) that might be able to provide a speaker, as
well as open source projects (JeOS).

Storage. This could be anything from LVM or mdadm, to NAS appliance
distributions like FreeNAS, to new file systems like Sun's ZFS or EXT4.

Backup. Rsync, Mondo Rescue, Bacula, flyback (Apple Time Machine clone);
various disk cloning techniques, like Clonezilla; various ways of
creating snapshots; various online backup tools and services, like
Amazon S3.

Desktop. A seemingly dull topic, which came up in a thread just
recently, but getting a speaker who can show off the cutting edge
features of the Linux Desktop (Compiz?), might be of interest to those
pondering the switch.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro