Re: Linux ready for the home desktop?

 >  I love seeing foolish, arbitrary statements like this.
>  Windows, when not shutdown properly, has the same message about disk checking.
>  Does it matter that all of my relatives, gf and myself have been using Linux
>  as our only desktop for a minimum of 5 years? How does that fit in with your
>  statement? Perhaps "My parents freaked out over the disk check." instead
>  of "Linux isn't ready."

I quite agree, the statement is too wide and assumed much in it's
pomposity. Linux is ready for "the" desktop in front of me, it's ready
for the desktop my mum uses and it's ready for the desktop my friends
use.

It's not ready for people who do not know what they're getting into,
linux is NOT windows and to presume that it's just a better version of
windows is foolish. The proposition when installing desktop linux for
home users is very important since it will reflect what value people
believe they will get out of it and what advantages they will take
from it.

For instance a lot of the people that I see at the South End
Technoledgy Center are towards the poorer end of the economy; to them
the idea that you can get the operating system for free is not
important since windows comes for "free" on all PCs. No what excites
them is being able to arbitrarily choose a new application, download
it and use it without paying anything. with no virus checker or
spamware to pay for and the general advice that buying software at a
store isn't going to work it prepares people for what they need to
account for and provides a happier linux user.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

believed to be clean.