From: Scott Ehrlich <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:31:55 AM
Subject: Linux ready for the home desktop?

I introduced my parents to Linux [Ubuntu Gutsy] at their place, and they
tried it for a few days.  It was still too new for them, so they opted
back for Windows.

I was considering re-introducing it to them at some other point, until a
few days later, my Linux box (Ubuntu) presented me with a reminder why
Windows and Mac are still desktop-ready, but Linux isn't - the obligatory
filesystem check if the machine has been rebooted at least 30 times.

This leads me to the question of can this check be turned off?  I know it
is a kernel function, and not distro-based.  If it can be turned off, what
are the consequences?

How do the [net/free/open]BSD families handle checks, since their kernels
are different, I think.

Thanks for feedback.

Scott

believed to be clean.