virtual dedicated server recommendations

 I am paying $65 a month for colo of my 1U server,
which is an old 750 mhz pentium III. I am thinking of
upgrading it, but also I'd like to spend less money,
which is making me think of moving onto a virtual
hosted server environment. I have to say I really
haven't kept up with this market too much. I don't use
a lot of bandwidth, but don't want to have bill shock
if i get slashdotted either. I am running debian on my
current server, and am considering moving to Ubuntu
6.06 LTS. I'd also like to have some facility for data
backup.

I own my own Class C. A portable one.
205.159.169.0/24. I am hoping to route this again.
Ideally, I'd like to use a few IPs from it for my own
use but trade the rest of it for free virtual hosted
server at a reputable place (i.e. one which won't give
out my IP space to spammers). I am hard up for money
these days, so I am trying to maximize my resources,
and I know that IP space is dear. I've been running
this server (sinister.com) for friends since 1995. I
don't want to move it to gmail or otherwise loose
control of it, but the $65 is going to go up shortly,
and that hurts.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob