Re: partitioning a raid 5 disk array -

 I would also like to add that adding a lot of swap doesn't actually do much
of anything. Staring at top when doing some serious memory or disk IO stuff
(such as yum) doesn't actually use a lot. Unix/linux doesn't like swap, it's
slow and unpreferred so
it just doesn't use it much if ever. Almost everything is in your main
memory. Also locking down /usr and even worse /etc is a decent idea if you
are worried about security as it makes it almost imposable to actually do
anything. Having a /home as a different partition is useful if you have a
lot of users on the box, if you need to reinstall nothing in /home is lost.
On web servers /var is almost always partitioned just for speed since that
is where a lot of access is. These are of course IMHO. ~Ben