Re: Linux server hosting

 Paul Baumgardner wrote:
> I'm looking into server hosting companies/options and am hoping
> someone can provide a recommendation/advice.  My needs are minimal -
> email, run a few websites.  So far, I have come across a couple
> companies that provide "virtual" servers, running your choice of Linux
> starting at $24.95, all the way up to big fancy dedicated servers that
> are well over a hundred dollars per month.
>
> Anyone use such services?  Or since my needs aren't very much should I
> just stick to running my old server down in my basement.

I used to have an old server in my basement, but the romance of getting
up close and personal with the hardware wore off.

I've used OpenHosting for the past few years, but I'm in the process of
switching to Linode.  OpenHosting has given me great service, but
they're strictly Red Hat (well, Fedora/CentOS), and I'm tired of
discovering how many things are in the Debian repositories that I can't
find as RPMs.

(However, one nice feature of OpenHosting, not available on either
Linode or the server in my basement, is free automatic backups.)

If your needs would be met by something *really* lightweight, VPSlink's
cheapest virtual hosting package (2.5 GB disk, 100 GB bandwidth, 64 MB
RAM) is $7.95/month.

> Thanks all.

believed to be clean.