Re: Samba and web pages

 This isn't handled in the browser at all. Apache has a user-overridable
function for listing a directory, and its default function for listing a
directory happens to look for a sequence of files such as index.html,
and if it finds one of these, it returns it; otherwise it generates a
directory listing.

In the absence of apache, or other http-server software that implements
the same behavior, you simply won't get this behavior.