Re: Samba and web pages

    Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 12:45:51 -0500
   From: MBR <[hidden email]>

   Robert Krawitz wrote:
   >    Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 02:03:22 -0500
   >    From: MBR <[hidden email]>
   >
   >    Assuming I understand you correctly, you're just typing a directory path
   >    into your browser's address bar, and you'd like some server along the
   >    way to do the right magic so the index page is returned to the browser.
   >    I don't believe this is possible.  Here's why.
   >
   > I think that what Jerry's asking for is that if you browse a directory
   > that contains an index.html file that the browser open that file
   > rather than provide a directory listing.
   >
   > For example, if there is a file /home/rlk/index.html, and I type
   >
   > file:///home/rlk
   >
   > into the browser, the browser should actually provide
   > /home/rlk/index.html.

   As far as this goes, it sounds like we're in agreement on what he's
   asking for.

   > This doesn't need any server involvement or anything.  Whatever the
   > merits or otherwise of this, it's something a browser could do on its own.

   Yes, you could rewrite the browser to make it do anything you wanted
   to.  But implicit in my response was the assumption that he was not
   interested in modifying the source code to the web browser, the Samba
   server, or any other major piece of software, but wanted to be able to
   achieve his desired end just by reconfiguring existing software.

Another way to look at it is that Jerry was simply asking whether the
browser has an option to do this (or whether there's a Firefox
extension or something that can already do this) -- a perfectly
natural thing to ask about.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <[hidden email]>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail [hidden email]

--Eric Crampton

believed to be clean.