Re: verizon wireless suggestions

 On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 03:08:32AM -0500, James Kramer wrote:
> I am planning to switch to Verizon wireless cell phone.  I need to
> choose a phone and service plan and am looking for recommendations.

This seems an odd question to me. If you are committed to a
particular carrier already, your choices are highly constrained.

> I don't want a large monthly bill. I make about 20 calls per day that
> average about 15 minutes each to places throughout the US.

You really use 300 minutes of call time a day? 5 hours a day? 6000+
minutes a month? This seems highly unlikely to me, but if true, you had
better pay for the $100/month unlimited US calling plan, then.

> I spend some time outside in inclement weather.  I need the phone
> primarily for voice but that VZ Navigator feature looks interesting
> and I would like to have it if it was a minimal cost and if it worked
> well.  I have an 8 year old daughter that may need some kind of
> features like text messaging in the future. I also use text messaging
> to receive alerts from google calendar.

Adding unlimited text messages is another $20/month. The cost of
individual messages otherwise is 20 cents apiece. So, if if you
send or receive more than 3 or 4 a day, you should pay for that,
too.

For another $20/month you get unlimited data, although there
should be a big fat hairy asterisk that says "until you reach an
invisible limit, at which point VZW will arbitrarily cancel your
service".

I am confused as to how your 8 year old daughter fits into this,
unless you are getting her a cellphone too.

> I would appreciate any suggestions of type of phone and service.  The
> Razr looks like a nice design but I am concerned about my outside use
> in active work in inclement weather.

In your circumstances as described, I would be concerned about
battery capacity above all other factors. You can't get a RAZR;
the advertised max call time is 2/3 of what you said you use
daily. Actually, that doesn't matter. None of the phones that
VZW sells has a 300 minute talk time. You're going to need to
recharge during the day no matter what.

What phone are you using now for 5 hours a day?

> Also, what is the status of Google going to wireless service?  I may
> need to consider switching sometime in the near future.

You can text a message to GOOGL and get search results; if your
phone has a browser, you can use whatever you feel comfortable
with.

If you're asking "when is Google going to roll out a free
national cellphone network", better ask someone who works there.
They won't tell you, but at least it will be definitive.

-dsr-

subversive content by DHS, and is
believed to be treasonous Commie propaganda.

believed to be clean.